French Lemon Yogurt cake
Delicious for breakfast, snack or dessert! This healthy version uses Whole Wheat Flour and coconut Sugar which makes a darker flesh cake.
- 9in cake pan or pound cake mold
- 1.5 cup Whole wheat white flour,or your favorite plain gluten free 1 for 1 baking flour
- 1/2 cup organic Cane sugar or Coconut Sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup Plain or Vanilla Koko Kai Coconut Yogurt
- 1 large egg whole
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 Tbsp Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Apricot or Orange Jam for glazing
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Line a round 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper or a loaf pound cake mold set aside.NOTE: Alternatively, if you have a non-stick cake mold/ spray with avocado oil and dust it with a light layer of flour. This will leave your finished cake with smooth sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon zest. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix the yogurt, 1 whole egg and the 2 egg whites, Olive oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix Well until all incorporated. Fold into the flour mixture until combined and no pockets of flour remain, ensuring not to over-mix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smoothing out the top. Transfer to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted into the middle comes out clean and it’s lightly golden on top.
- Remove from oven and allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If using, brush your cake with an orange or apricot jam, if desired!Serve and enjoy!
Store cake in an airtight container, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.