THE INSIDE SCOOP
WHAT’S THE CLEAR STUFF AT THE BOTTOM OF THE JAR?
That is the ‘whey’ – in any natural yogurt making process you’ll find it separates from the protein. It’s packed with good stuff, so make sure you stir it back into the yogurt before serving.
I’M TEMPTED TO EAT THE WHOLE JAR IN ONE GO. SHOULD I?
Don’t worry – you’re not alone! It’s so yummy that it is very easy to keep eating spoon after spoon, however, be aware that this yogurt is ALIVE and full of probiotics. Your tummy may not be prepared for a big dose of probiotics all in one sitting!
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Our best by date is located at the bottom of the jar. If you keep it refrigerated below 39 degrees, unopened it will last up to 8 weeks. However, once you open it, it’s best eaten within 10-15 days. You’ll notice it gets slightly thicker and more tart over time. One more thing; It is best to scoop out your yogurt serving onto a dish rather than eating it out of the jar as each time you do so, you are introducing potential bacteria that could alter your jar’s life by developing mold….So No double dipping 🙂
WHY IS MY YOGURT SOMETIMES THICKER / THINNER?
We brew our yogurt multiple times a week for deliveries – a fresh batch that’s just hit the shelves will be runnier than a jar that’s been refrigerated for a week or more. If you like your yogurt thicker, try leaving it in the fridge for a few days before opening, and also avoid shaking/stirring vigorously as this breaks the natural coagulate that yogurt forms when it sets. It is a sensitive product, so storing at the correct temperature is important for keeping it a nice consistency. At really cold temperatures (below 35F) the fatty acids in the coconut cream freeze and make it thicken a lot, almost going ‘hard’, so be careful not to keep it right at the back of the fridge.
CAN I FREEZE YOUR YOGURT?
Freezing the yogurt changes the consistency, it gets a bit dry and crumbly, like cottage cheese. It DOES freeze really well in raw cheesecake recipes or if you make ice cream out of it, but that’s because of the combination of other ingredients.
WHICH STRAINS OF PROBIOTICS DO YOU USE AND HOW WHAT IS THE LIVE CULTURES COUNT IN YOUR YOGURT? April 2021 Update- Now fermenting our yogurts with 13 Live Cultures
We are proud to use only ultra potency probiotics. Our custom blend of 13 high quality, 100% vegan & Dairy Free probiotics have each health benefits:
Our custom probiotics at work in every spoonful!
No Guar Gum & Custom blend of 13 Live Cultures
- Lactobacillus Bulgaricus: Draws away toxins
- S. Thermophilus : Help us break down food, absorb nutrients, and fight off “unfriendly” organisms
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus : Reduces blood pressure and cholesterol, while enhancing immune system
- L. Casei: Inhibits inflammatory response
- L.Rhamnosus: Enhances immune system
- Bifidobacterium Lactis : Breaks down carbohydrates, safeguards the urogenital tract
- L. Salivarius, helps with lowering cholesterol, relieving asthma, and reducing tissue inflammation
- L. Plantarum has ignificant antioxidant activities and also helps to maintain intestinal permeability. It is able to suppress the growth of gas-producing bacteria in the intestines and may benefit some patients who suffer from IBS. It helps to create microbe balance and stabilize digestive enzyme patterns.
- L. Lactis, Skin health in hydration and elasticity
- B. Breve,. Helps promote respiratory health, skin health, and it helps to inhibit overproduction of some of the primary culprits of yeast infections
- B. Infantis, helps you maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- B. Longum may reduce depression and anxiety, helps people with IBS
- B. Bifidum, helps generate vitamins such as K and B-12, which may also influence mood
Additionally, our custom blend formulation do NOT contain dairy, sugar, gluten, soy, casein, yeast, artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, FOS or any Genetically Modified or engineered ingredients.
We also get our yogurt micro-tested regularly with a professional Lab right here in Honolulu for its shelf life and the probiotics count. Our initial result showed happy live cultures and an high probiotic count of 1 Billion of CFU per gram at time of bottling. Our serving size, being 60gram (2oz), will essentially give you 50 to 60 Billion CFUs of probiotic goodness per serving.
WHAT CAN I USE IT FOR?
Due to its thick, creamy consistency, you’ll find that Koko Kai yogurt is very versatile and makes an excellent dairy-free substitute in recipes. Baking, curries (although be aware that high temperatures will kill the probiotics), smoothies, in ice blocks, with breakfast, and mixed with herbs as a dip are all potential ways to enjoy it … get creative in your kitchen and let us know what you make with it.